Friday, July 11, 2008

The The thin line between feminism and woman empowerement


I recently had an interview with a woman who told me that she is always looking out for the affair of the woman. People call her a feminist. I love women [I am not gay], but one of my bosses thinks I am a feminist. Do I think of myself as one? No.. because i did not consciously choose to look out for the affair of fellow mamas. I just discovered that overtime, I care how the woman is viewed, treated, spoken to... you get it.

The view most people have is that if you are pro-woman, you are anti-men. All very wrong... because although I can't speak for others, men make most of my friends anyway. And I guess I find the sub-species easier to get along with, but that's not my point. Nay be it is because most people who are considered feminists [read the list of lawyers at Fida, most women human rights organisations and the Martha Karua, Njoki Ndungu, Wangari Maathai-likes] are sadly single. May be pure coincidence but I doubt it.

Another mama told me that shewould rather be single and achieving her dream than live with a man who was always cliping her wings whenever she attempted to fly. I guess that is why the high flyers in Kenya [not just- I am thinking of Condoleeza Rice and Oprah Winfrey] never marry or end up divorced.


I guess the problem with most women-sympathisers is that they end up loving the girlchild and the woman so much, they begin to revile the man. Unfortunately this world operates on certain principles- like men being heads of households and being more aggressive and physically strong.

That is why I insist that not everyone who is pro-woman is a feminist. Nothing so wrong with feminism really but it carries a cult-like semblance among its followers. if we can aim at attaining a right balance: one, knowing that our strength is often in us taking our place; two, in not letting anyone fit us into their mould, positive or negative and third, respect our men. No need for competition... we know can do whatever we set our minds to anyway- even if its state house. After all if we have achieved all that we have with the glass ceiling still on, what about if it wasn't there? just look at Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf...

No comments: